Match Report: Lads exit EFL Trophy

Scunthorpe United 3-0 Sunderland AFC

Sunderland exited the Trophy on Tuesday evening following a 3-0 defeat to Scunthorpe United.

The Lads’ best opening of the first-half was lifted over the crossbar by Duncan Watmore, while Matthew Lund grazed the woodwork and James Perch saw a header cleared off the line at the other end.

Abo Eisa took centre stage following the restart, and after relentlessly tearing down the left flank, his persistence paid off when Luke O’Nien, who was dismissed as a result, hauled him down inside the box.

Lee Novak stepped up to convert from the penalty, with Eisa grabbing the Iron’s second before Novak completed the scoring in added time.

Shielded by a back four of Joel Lynch, Jordan Willis, O’Nien and Denver Hume, Lee Burge returned to the side after recovering from a hip injury.

Grant Leadbitter, Marc McNulty and Watmore were also recalled, as a youthful bench included the likes of Bali Mumba and Benji Kimpioka.

The Lads started on the front foot and nervy opening from the Iron led to a clumsy challenge by Junior Brown, but after being sent tumbling, O’Nien was left reeling after the officials remained unmoved.

A couple of commendable blocks followed at the other end, before Marc McNulty beat Jake Eastwood to a clipped ball over the top and fed Watmore.

The stopper was in no man’s land and the winger took aim, but his effort sailed over the top.

Scunthorpe fired back as Novak and Lund combined, and the former’s effort shaved the crossbar.

The Iron’s ascendancy continued but it remained goalless at the break, with Perch’s effort flashing across goal before Burge denied Alex Gilliead and O’Nien headed off the line.

Sunderland made a change at the break, with Laurens De Bock replacing Joel Lynch, and makeshift centre back was thrust into the action as the home side pushed forward.

Eisa led the charge, with Jordan Willis earning a booking for a challenge on the livewire before George Dobson did well to thwart him inside the box.

Soon after, Dobson turned provider and Watmore was denied by Eastwood, who’s blushes were spared when a clearance cannoned off a team-mate and just over the crossbar.

But with 65 minutes on the clock, the Lads were handed a mountain to climb.

Eisa once again proved too hot to handle and after breaking through on goal, O’Nien pulled him down to concede a penalty before being subsequently dismissed.

From 12 yards, Novak made no mistake.

Burge made a fine save as the Black Cats failed to shackle Eisa, but the Iron continued to push forward, and the winger capped off an impressive display with the home side’s second before Novak completed the scoring in added time.

Sunderland: Burge; O’Nien, Willis, Lynch (De Bock 45), Hume; Leadbitter, Dobson, Power; Watmore (Maguire 74), McGeady, McNulty
Subs not used:
Patterson, McGeouch, Kimpioka, Mumba, Taylor

Scunthorpe United: Eastwood; Perch, Clarke, Lund, Novak, Gilliead (Pugh 90), McArdle, Brown, Eisa, Bedeau, McAtee (van Veen 57)
Subs not used:
Watson, Butler, Colclough, Dales, Butroid

Back to top