Match report: Top flight Burnley defeated

Sunderland will enter the third-round draw of the Carabao Cup as they defeated Premier League Burnley 3-1 at Turf Moor.

The Lads did fall behind to an early Jay Rodriguez goal but replied with a Will Grigg equaliser before the first half was over.

Jack Ross’ men did the damage early in the second half as they found the net twice in three minutes through Tom Flanagan and George Dobson.

The result was more than deserved for the Lads and they will find out who they will face in the third round later this evening. 

A frantic start to the game saw both sides have their fair share of possession, but it was the home side who had the first opportunity in the seventh minute.

The lively Aaron Lennon fed Dwight McNeil, but he saw his 20-yard drive go wide of Lee Burge’s goal.

Two minutes later, and it was Sunderland who nearly got the opener as Luke O’Nien was played in by Grigg, but he saw his close-range effort fly over the bar. 

One minute later, and it was the visitor’s again who nearly scored after some great play down the right saw Elliot Embleton fire a shot just over the bar. 

The deadlock was broken on 12 minutes, and it was Sean Dyche’s men who got the goal.

Vydra broke through the Sunderland midfield and played in Rodriguez who coolly slotted the ball past Burge and into the bottom right corner. 

Burnley should have doubled their lead on 28 minutes as they somehow managed to hit the post twice within two seconds. 

Lennon saw his drive from just outside the area hit the post and rebound fell to Vydra who hit the opposite post.

From the resulting clearance, the Lads nearly equalised themselves as Hume fed George Dobson, but he couldn’t strike the ball cleanly and his effort went wide of Joe Hart’s goal. 

Sunderland did get the equaliser though on 35 minutes as Grigg netted his first goal of the season.

Hume, who was a threat all evening down the left, saw his low cross deflected into the path of Grigg who had plenty of time to decide where he wanted to finish, and he fired the ball into the top corner to level the game at one-apiece. 

The second half began with Sunderland on the front foot and they took the lead on 47 minutes through skipper Flanagan.

Gooch made himself some space and fired a piercing shot at Hart who could only parry the ball into the path of Flanagan. The big defender had the simplest of finishes as he headed into the open Burnley net. 

Just three minutes later, the Lads doubled their lead sending the Premier League side into shock.

A brilliant short corner saw Gooch play the ball to O’Nien who then teed up the late runner Dobson. The midfielder coolly slotted home from just inside the area for his first goal in red and white. 

The Lads were playing with gusto, but Burnley still had their chances and nearly got a goal back on 60 minutes as Burge was called upon to make two top class saves from Kevin Long and Rodriguez. 

Burnley introduced Chris Wood on 69 minutes and his impact was nearly felt straight away as he saw his goal-bound close-range effort magnificently blocked by Jack Baldwin who threw himself into the path of the ball.

Wood nearly got himself on the scoresheet five minutes later as a long ball from Phil Bardsley saw him one-one with the onrushing Burge, but his chipped effort ended up well wide of the goal. 

The home side did push for a goal late in the game, but Sunderland held firm and picked up a deserved victory against their Premier League foes.  

Burnley: Hart, Bardsley, Taylor, Long, Gibson ©, Drinkwater, Lennon (Wood 69), Hendrick, Rodriguez, Vydra, McNeil

Subs: Peacock-Farrell, Pieters, Lowton, Dunne, Cork, Richardson
Sunderland: Burge, McLaughlin, McGeouch, Gooch, Flanagan ©, O’Nien (Power 86), Baldwin, Embleton, Dobson, Grigg (Wyke 77), Hume
Subs: Patterson, Ozturk, Kimpioka, Sammut, Diamond
Back to top