Match report: Accy clash abandoned

Accrington Stanley A-A Sunderland

Sunderland’s encounter with Accrington Stanley was abandoned after 72 minutes due to a waterlogged pitch.

Both sides battled the sodden conditions in goalless opening 45 minutes, with Chris Maguire sending the Lads into the lead following the restart before Connor Hall levelled.

The conditions and playing surface continued to deteriorate, though, and with 16 minutes remaining the referee called time and the game was abandoned.

A further announcement regarding the re-arranged fixture will be released in due course.

George Honeyman and Maguire returned to the starting XI at the Wham Stadium, as Josh Maja led the line.

Torrential rain and a boggy playing surface threatened to end this one before it began, but as 3pm approached the weather eased off and kick-off went ahead.  

Both sides had to battle the elements and it made life difficult, but Accrington spurned the first real opportunity on 15 minutes.

After clearing the initial corner Sunderland were caught short at the back, but Sean McConville failed to pick out a man and Jon McLaughlin was quick off the mark to clear the danger.

Adam Matthews was injured during the attack, though, and the Welshman was unable to continue, as Bryan Oviedo entered the fray.

The Lads’ first real chance came soon after, as Josh Maja wriggled past his man and crossed to Aiden McGeady, but despite controlling the ball with aplomb, his volley whistled over the bar.

Jordan Clark sent one hurtling wide after the half-hour mark before Lynden Gooch fired off target at the other end, with chances continuing to fall for both sides before the break.

Sam Finley attempted to lob McLaughlin and sent his effort a fraction too high, and Oviedo’s low free-kick almost caught out Connor Ripley, but it remained 0-0 at the interval.

The rain resumed at the start of the second period as the conditions became even more treacherous, but Sunderland stole the lead after the hour mark.

‘Keeper Ripley looked to have the situation under control but he was quickly charged down by Maguire, and the forward managed to block the attempted clearance and direct it into the net.

But it didn’t last, as Stanley levelled six minutes later.

An almighty goalmouth scramble in the pouring rain was eventually won by the home side, and Hall stabbed the ball home from close range.

Maguire almost bagged his second when an inventive effort struck the woodwork, but with 74 minutes played the conditions came out on top, and the game was abandoned.

Attendance: 5257 (2,604 away)

Accrington Stanley: Ripley, Johnson, Sykes, Hughes, Anderton, Clark, Finley, Barlaser, McConville, Zanzala (Charman 68), Kee (Hall 45).
Subs not used: Maxted, Richards-Everton, Brown, Mingoia, Connely.

Sunderland: McLaughlin, Matthews (Oviedo 17), James, Baldwin, Flanagan, McGeady, Gooch, Honeyman, Power, Maguire, Maja (O’Nien 62).
Subs not used: Ruiter, Ozturk, Sinclair, McGeouch, Loovens

Back to top