Sunderland's time at Newcastle Road heralded one of the club's most successful periods.
Sunderland spent 12 years at Newcastle Road, and during that time the spell brought League football to the North East, three Championships courtesy of ‘The Team of All The Talents’ as well as the new strip of red and white stripes.
On 24 September 1887 the club embarked on a new era as they wore red and white stripes for the first time.
The Lads modelled the new shirt as they beat Darlington St Augustine’s 1-0 at Newcastle Road, thanks to Arnie Davison’s goal.
Newcastle Road was regarded the best grounds in the region as it attracted crowds of up to 22,000 at one stage.
During that time there was a growing interest in the team and that was evident as fencing surrounded the ground, allowing an entry charge to be made.
The club also boasted a Grandstand and a Press Gallery which only added to its appeal and helped to continually attract large crowds.
Newcastle Road hosted its first league game on 13 September 1890 when Burnley triumphed 3-2.
However, after a sluggish start at home Sunderland went on to lose only once in the next six years as ‘The Team of All The Talents’ established themselves as the most successful club in the game.
After recording a seventh place finish in their first league campaign, Sunderland claimed three Championships in the next four seasons.
In the 1891-92 season, Sunderland boasted a 100% home record, while a year later Sunderland became the first club to net 100 goals in a single season in only 30 games.
Newcastle Road played a big part in developing the club's history and provided a place for a growing fan base to build, which was only heightened when it hosted an international between England and Wales.
The Three Lions won 4-1, however, after 12 memorable years at Newcastle Road the club moved to Roker Park.