Some background on the Barclays Premier League Asia Trophy.
- The Barclays Asia Trophy is held every two years
- It’s the only Barclays Premier League affiliated competition to be staged outside of England
- It is a friendly four-team pre-season football tournament contested by three Premier League football clubs and a home team
- The tournament is played in line with Barclays Premier League rules, with English referees officiating the fixtures alongside their Hong Kong counterparts
- The competition began in 2003 and has previously been held in Bangkok and Beijing
- This is the third time it’s been held in Hong Kong
- Chelsea won the last tournament back in 2011
- In 2009 Tottenham were Barclays Asia Trophy winners, defeating Hull City in the final
- This is the first year Sunderland have been involved in the competition. Previous English entrants include, Portsmouth, Everton, West Ham United, Liverpool, Blackburn Rovers, Fulham, Bimingham City, Bolton Wanderers, Newcastle United, Aston Villa and Chelsea.